Monday – Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (if needed)
September 22, 2017
*Due to existing requirements, work taking place directly over or adjacent to BART and Union Pacific Railroad operations will be performed at night and/or on weekends when the trains are not in operation. Regular weekday night hours – when this type of work can take place – are from 1:30 a.m. – 3:00 a.m. Weekend night hours for this type of work are from 1:00 a.m. – 7:00 a.m. Advance notice of night, weekend and/or noisy work activities will be provided to the local community when the work is scheduled.
The majority of project construction is anticipated to take place during regular weekday hours, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. However, there may be instances where weekday construction hours are extended from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. in order to expedite or complete ongoing work. Saturday work hours are from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (if needed). Some work may extend into Sunday to complete ongoing work, or to make up for any delays caused by adverse weather.
All construction dates and times are subject to change due to weather and unforeseen conditions, and/or the availability of on-site Union Pacific Railroad flaggers and BART safety monitors.
Bridge Construction Continues
The new bridge is being constructed immediately south of the existing bridge. Construction is anticipated to be complete spring 2017. Click here to see an aerial view of the project, including planned landscaping. Click here to see a sectional view of the new bridge, including planned lane (roadway), shoulder (bike lanes) and sidewalk widths.
- Night-time/early morning demolition work continues. These activities will continue every day until the bridge is completely demolished. The anticipated completion date for this period of night-time work is Wednesday, September 27th. Project neighbors should expect to experience increased noise during this period. We are limited to operate in these hours due to restrictions to activities over railroad tracks set in place by BART and UPRR.
- The Stage 3 temporary realignment of traffic began on Wednesday, August 23 to assist with demolition preparation. This 3rd Stage alignment will continue until late September and will allow eastbound and westbound traffic onto the new bridge.
- The eastbound movement on the left turn from Niles Boulevard to Linda Drive and the left turn onto Niles Boulevard from Linda Drive will be closed during Stages 2 and 3 until the first week of October. A detour using El Portal Avenue is in place.
- Once construction activities between the bridges have been concluded in mid-October, traffic will be placed in its final alignment on the new bridge and permanent striping and signage will be installed.
- Community members may hear train horns near the project site during regular construction hours. Train operators are required to sound a warning as they pass through a known construction zone.
PLEASE NOTE: The work activities and dates listed above are subject to change due to weather, unforeseen conditions, and/or the availability of on-site Union Pacific Railroad flaggers and BART safety monitors.
Please check this page regularly for updates.
Intermittent parking disruptions on Niles Boulevard and vehicle lane detours may occur in the area during construction. Please obey signs and traffic flaggers when present.